Sunday 3 March 2019

All About Time






This week I was either zooming around like a headless chicken or sitting very still, concentrating. I made multiple trips to Stonehaven station as my kids went down to Edinburgh for a gig then Freya came up for a flying visit to see Fergus perform at Drummonds Bar in Aberdeen. 

Fergus and I blitzed driving theory revision on Tuesday morning and he passed the test in the afternoon. My knowledge of road signs and pedestrian crossings is now far superior to when I sat my driving test in 1986;) He will sit the practical driving test in April and it would be great if he could manage to pass first time so I don’t have to pay for any more lessons!

I supervised 3 large customer DIY quilts where we made good use of Qmatic automated designs. I have decided that the next quilt I do freehand will be a Hoffmann Fabrics “Dream Big” panel so I can brush up my quilting skills and showcase many designs on one piece. 




I spent my final week at the screen printing class using the large table to block-print wooden stamps randomly around my Warli circles. I attached pompom trim and red bells to each end of the scarf which I wear to the student exhibition opening next weekend. 



I continued my slow and rustic hand-stitching on the quilt but decided to attach the quilt hanging sleeve before completing the hand sewing just in case I do not finish on time. I must investigate some sort of thimble alternative because I have holes or callouses on my fingers and a nasty split in my thumb which I have now repaired with super-glue. I made an effort to reinforce the ends of the hanging sleeve with really tight stitching because I find that tends to unravel after the quilt has been loaded on and off a batten a few times. 



I bought a timber batten for the Grays Art School student show and decided to paint it white to match the wall upon which it will be hung. I was delighted to find a small can of white enamel fast-dry spray paint when I was rummaging for sand-paper so I simply sprayed the ends of the batten that will poke out.

After waking up in the middle of the night panicking that I had not turned up at an important appointment I decided that it was time to tidy my desk and check my multiple notebooks for things I have forgotten to do. I was almost caught out by February ending abruptly with a quilt show entry form that I had to email instead of sending by post, even though it had been completed in what I had thought was plenty of time. 


The spring-like weather should be making me feel like having a good clear-out but as long as my workshop is organised and I have projects to do I will choose to ignore any junk and chaos in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment