Sunday 3 September 2023

Another 500 Miles


  


 On Wednesday last week I clocked up another 500+ miles driving down to Norfolk but without a caravan it seemed easy to get up some speed and drive for 10 hours. 

Just before we arrived in Norfolk there had been a summer thunderstorm - warm humid conditions were perfect for fungi and I spotted a fine specimen of Chicken of the Woods growing on a willow tree by the river. Freya was very impressed so I have put some in the freezer so I can take it home for her. When cooked it is firm and actually tastes like quite like chicken.





Since I joined the National Trust in the Peak District, we decided to visit Horsey Wind Pump which had been used for draining the marshes in the early twentieth century.





Years ago when I was a student I could not wait to pack up my Uni room and move into my 2nd year flat but Nella was happier just moving a couple of boxes every other day. I really wanted to buy her something nice for her privately rented student house but she was irritated by my interference and frequent texts from junk shops, wanting to organise everything by herself. Fergus and girlfriend, Ellie came to stay in Norfolk for a few days which was great but he and Nella lapsed back into a bit of sibling rivalry. Between them and my folks who have decided that they are “old”, I could do with some time to recharge my batteries. I plan to head back north on Wednesday and get stuck into a huge customer quilt and get ready for my forthcoming Glasgow workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment