Sunday 18 August 2024

A New Chapter



I have taken hundreds of photos this week - of things to sell on Facebook Marketplace. The local rumour mill has been convinced for months that something is more afoot here than me decluttering. When I moved here 24 years ago I said that I would only leave if carried out in a box but things change and I am going to make a huge move on my own. I am heading for Devon to start a new job as the Longarm Expert (amongst other things) at Quilt Direct. It is exciting, terrifying and sometimes overwhelming. To start with I will live in a static caravan on a farm because it is too hard choosing a place to rent on the internet. I have 3 weeks to pack up my stuff and start out on my adventure with my machines, essentials and Nessie.


The kids are on board with the move although they wish I had done it years ago. Reality has now hit and they know we will never all be at Brigton Farm together like before unless we are clearing it out. If they decide to visit I won’t be there. There were a lot of last times this week, Morning pancakes, making jam, walks along the river, sunsets, starry skies… The girls were sad when I dropped them off at Stonehaven station. 






I have spent the week on a preliminary sort-out in the workshop, advertising all sorts of things to raise funds for my removal van. I did my last customer quilt here and had the last customer quilt pick-up from one of my most long-standing clients. I have two lessons to give this week then need to dismantle the machines. I had a roaring bonfire getting rid of unnecessary paperwork and defunct business cards. 



I am going to have to be ruthless and leave many things behind. I have filled this house with all sorts of junk but I cannot take half a dozen teapots. I am reconciled to the fact that  much of what I have is just “stuff” but at the same time I don’t want to regret some of my decisions. I don’t actually intend to take everything in one trip but I do want to get pretty packed up and store it in my workshop until I find a house that might work. 



For those of you who read this blog, I hope you will stick with me on my new chapter. I will still be quilting for customers on behalf of Quilt Direct and they will offer free postage for my existing customers. It is going to be a VERY busy few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment