Sunday 9 May 2010

Raising the Roof


 

I may have returned from America at last but my children still have not seen much of me since I have spent almost every available minute in the workshop. The Yurt frame had to be put up in the driveway so that the roof could be fitted. Considering it is a year since I last watched the Yurtman put a frame up, it went up quite easily in about an hour. It rained a lot during the week but the wood won't come to any harm if it gets wet as the spring sun and wind dry things up quickly. Tania and Mo came to help manhandle the quilted tweed roof sections into position for a rough fitting. It was at this point that it finally sank in how big this project really is. I listened carefully and made notes as Mo expertly explained where to attach the velcro on each section. It was a long and difficult job and there were areas where I was sewing through 2 layers of tweed, 2 layers of cotton and industrial strength velcro. I bent several needles and got thoroughly fed up with the velcro attaching itself to the tweed, itself, my sweater and the carpet. Despite the diagrams, I forgot what I was doing and attached rough velcro where fuzzy velcro had to go so that was a minor set-back. Fortunately, Mo came to the rescue and helped me to fix that when we did the final fitting and tweaking. It actually fits... and looks amazing!

Tania has been helping to handsew the fuzzy velcro in place on the wall panels after I machined down the bindings with invisible thread. Our new neighbour called in for coffee and was immediately roped in for making pennant shaped bunting for the inside of the Yurt. I sent her away with cut pieces of fabric, a template, sewing machine and scissors. She did say she was looking for a sewing project.

I made several enquiries about van hire and roofracks and realised that it was going to be rather expensive to transport the Yurt to Loch Lomond. I have now persuaded David to unbolt a couple of seats from the Landrover and it should all fit inside. I bought a couple of strings of Chinese lantern fairy lights at B&Q but the man was a bit bemused by my questions about rope and door hinges for my "tent".

I keep rewriting my To-Do list...

I have not actually finished all of the Yurt wall panels but I do have enough to construct the walls - the rest will have to go along as Works in Progress. Ideally I would like to make a photo album to display at the show. I have to make labels for the panels and write a blurb about each one for a show guide. I need to gather together other quilts to make up the rest of my exhibition, including some that the children have done. I have to sort out what accessories will go to furnish the Yurt – rugs, chairs and possibly a table. I saw a fantastic wicker stag's head in the local art gallery so I have asked the artist if she can possibly make another one in time as it would make a perfect feature. Mo suggested that I should add some pompom braid along the bottom of the Yurt roof. I ought to see if I can get some postcards printed on time that I can sell at the show. I am even wondering whether to raffle off "Pub Carpet" or another one of my panels to add to the overseas shipping fund. At least I have now finished reading "Breaking Dawn" that was keeping me awake long after midnight. If I can find any spare time I must try to reclaim some travel insurance expenses for my extended stay in USA and contact HM Customs to see if I stand any chance of reclaiming some of their extortionate charges for the yurt panels that stunt quilters have sent. They had to put a value on the outside and I have been charged import duty on that. I do now have almost all of them and each one that arrives is fabulous in its own way. Now I must stop blogging and sort out some digital photos...





Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment