For once, I stuck determinedly to The Plan to make updates to my website. I set the laptop up in the kitchen to keep an eye on the kitten and started editing or updating pages for my website. This was a much larger undertaking than you might think since it led to updating my Flickr photo gallery then relocating files photos that seemed to have disappeared into The Mysterious Cloud. I can never quite work out what happens to some of my photos with the Mac but I think I have now got them all under control and filed in sensible places.
All of this prompted me to shape at least 3 old drafts of the Yurt Story into one article and produce blurbs about the Smart Car and the Norse quilts. I need to extend one on the Coracle and collate all of the research on Celtic seasons and customs into a coherent explanation about the Quilted Henge. It seemed like it would be a good idea to have pre-written basic articles about my large projects before the next time I am asked to do an interview or piece for a magazine.
Once I was in a sorting-out-zone, I got rather carried away and continued with lots of chores that I had been putting off. My business spreadsheets were given an overhaul and I even re-wrote the Constitution for the Parent Council that I had been meaning to do for well over a year.
Freya worriedly enquired whether we were moving house when I started sorting out books, old school photos and DVD’s. I explained that I had just reached the point where I thought the house might burst if I did not do some serious clearing-out. I hate not being able to find something as soon as I think about it and I am sick of opening random cupboards and discovering a spaghetti of forgotten earphones and chargers that belong to various family members. There is a chest of drawers upstairs full of naked Barbie-dolls that I have earmarked to clear and re-home some of the offending electronics.
In my workshop I emptied 8 folders of paperwork that were duplicates of instructions or filled with projects that were never going to get made.
I sold the kids’ climbing frame on Ebay with the intention of moving and recovering the garden yurt which has not been used since we discovered an enormous wasp-nest. An exterminator dressed in a Ghostbusters outfit sprayed chemicals everywhere and everything inside is in a mess.
The only sewing that I did all week involved cutting a couple of inches off the bottom of Fergus’s new school shirts and making a slipcover for his French homework book.
Once I have stopped myself from purging the contents of shelves and drawers, I should have a nice tidy space to concentrate on completing the final projects for The Book. I was delighted when a school secretary called to apologise that I was no longer required to teach during the coming week. I can do a customer quilt instead while thinking about what junk I can sell off or give away next;)