Sunday 8 October 2023

Abandon Ship!





Despite my Q-matic system being a bit temperamental since it needs a new cable, I managed to keep it going and completed some customer quilts. I had to watch it more closely than usual so I was not able to go away and work on anything else, although I did manage to put a few stitches onto the quilted coat back. I have 2 front pieces still to go, depending on how much embellishment I feel it needs.

I decided to take my caravan on a Last Hurrah for the year to head north to Moray for a Scottie Dog meet up. The weather was not forecast to be great but there were signs that it would improve. I am fine with towing but not happy about stopping. I stupidly missed my turn and ended up making a huge detour via Fraserburgh and lots of coastal villages in some scary high winds. As I approached the camping field where I had booked to stay the road was closed so I went on another mystery tour, finally arriving hours after I had planned. It was raining heavily, rained hard all night and was still raining the next morning. 

By now there was an Amber rain warning and water was starting to run off the fields onto the roads. Nessie and I had a walk on the beach at Nairn where we saw intrepid paddle-boarders and we got soaked. 





The Scottie Dog event was cancelled and the weather was worsening so I decided we might as well head home. The caravan had sunk into the field so I was not able to hitch up and I phoned the farmer in a bit of a panic to be told that everyone was too busy to come to my rescue. Eventually, I realised that I could crank the legs up a bit more to raise the tow hitch and we were able to make our escape! The journey home was uneventful and I am glad that we got out when we did because it just continued to lash with rain. There was quite a lot of flooding in Scotland and at home we had to dig a trench outside my workshop to divert the water running off the field. Nessie has decided that she won’t be going out until it dries up a bit which suits me fine as I will enjoy a cosy, lazy Sunday at home:)

No comments:

Post a Comment