Sunday 21 March 2021

As You Like It - Done!

 I finally committed to getting the FOQ sampler, “as You Like It”, done from start to finish. I did nothing else in my workshop all week, just working for a maximum of a couple of hours at a time. Obviously, a teaching workshop is only 2-3 hours long but I think a finished sample should show what the piece can evolve into, hopefully inspiring the student to add more to the basics at home. 




I had a vague plan in my head that the sample should include twin needle, echo quilting, rulers and couching but I was not working from a pattern. I just plonked down some main motifs and elaborated from there. I jotted down thread and tension settings so I can write up a handout later. 







Honestly, there is a far more in that one class than would normally be covered in a half day class but the piece is small and it is really just a taster of what the machine can be used for. When I run classes I show students how to use the tools, run a few techniques by them then set an exercise in working on the quilting. I have always believed in pupils learning and becoming more confident from doing and experimenting.


I used a vintage linen pillowcase on top of an old practice piece so the reverse is a hilarious mess. I tried to incorporate some of the original vintage crocheted lace but it must have been made to fit then sewn on by hand.  By the time I had quilted the old pillowcase and trimmed it the old lace was too big so I had to fiddle about at the corners to get it to fit. I wish I had stuffed it with a feather pillow form for the photos as it looks a bit lumpy and although the afternoon shadows look arty, they are not great for a class catalogue. 












At any rate, it is done - I am relieved and found that I enjoyed it once I got going. The next thing to do after catching up with customer quilts is to be brave and have a go at the Wiksten Haori jacket...

1 comment:

  1. That is really beautiful! Have you ever thought of trying to get an online class going?
    xox

    ReplyDelete