Sunday 14 March 2021

Dem Bones

 



Two snowflake quilts were my commissions for the week. I can only really be in the workshop for a short bursts so it was quite satisfying to get those done. I finally forced myself to work on the FOQ sampler. It is a bit of a mish-mash as I have been making it up as I go along. The idea is that it can allow students to try out different techniques including, twin needle, echo feet, rulers and couching. The problem is that this is a lot to cover in a 3 hour class and I realised that the piece should not be too big to allow time for it to be almost completed. I chose a vintage linen pillowcase as the size but this does not allow much working room. I am at the stage where I hate the project. Hopefully, it will grow on me by the time I start filling in the gaps - I will have to get on with it now that I have started;) 



The language learning app, Busuu, allows me to take certified tests every now and again. I did quite well the first time but failed the advanced beginner test because I had no idea of the correct use of the different ways of using words for “because”. I felt it was a bit unfair because the grammar book and dictionary did not explain any of the app’s variations. I also struggle with correct word endings and the endless versions of “the” - der, die, das, den, dem... I will just have to do some serious revision before I try to retake it!


Nella was officially discharged from hospital on Tuesday, and she was also offered a place at Nescol to do HND Fashion/Textiles. This should have been a time of celebration but instead, it was a moment for self-destructive anorexia to step in and cause her to start restricting food again. There have been tears and warnings but despite knowing that refusing to eat will lead her straight back to hospital, she just cannot make herself eat enough to stay on track. I dread the impact that a second admission might have on her mental state and have tried every reasoned argument but she says that I come across as angry and scary. I just want her to be able to be home for as long as it is safe for her to do so.





Bluecat Pepper, is showing her age at 17 - she has lost a lot of weight, is constantly hungry despite being wormed and often pukes after eating. She has always done that, being a cat who bolts her food and she is also incredibly neurotic. I have set up a feeding station near her basket on the windowsill so she does not have to dash past Nessie.


As Nella’s carer, I received my first dose of the Covid vaccine! It was all very straightforward and I cannot comprehend why some healthy people would choose to refuse it. She is actually the only member of the family who won’t be vaccinated by the summer as she is under 18. Bizarrely, despite having a suppressed immune system due to anorexia, she is not consider to be particularly vulnerable to Covid since she is not obese - I see that as yet another example of The Establishment being obsessed by the wrong sort of health message.


No comments:

Post a Comment