Sunday 29 August 2021

Thistles on a Quilt and Thorny World Problems

 



I worked  on a custom quilt all week and finally finished it on Saturday. There were large rectangular blocks to fill and I could not find any suitable digital Celtic style blocks because they are all designed to be square. This quilt is going to Canada so I thought that it needed the most obvious Scottish motif - a thistle. It took quite some time to get all of the thistles done and then I decided to fill in some gappy areas with hearts. I had to do SID around the appliqué with invisible thread and also in the pictorial blocks. 





Nella has been psyching herself up for starting college but on Friday evening received an email to say that classes would only be held once a week due to Covid restrictions. She was devastated as this event has been motivating her to fight anorexia and nows she feels that there is little point. It is maddening that large football matches and concerts can take place, schools are back, but a supposedly full-time college course can only offer classes one day a week. I can feel a Cause coming on…


The major international news this week has been the chaos in Afghanistan as the Taliban took back power, to the surprise of the rest of the world (apparently). I am greatly saddened by the horrific stories of those who have safely been evacuated to the UK and of those who have been left to their fate. I do not profess to have any expert knowledge of foreign policy but I do know that Britain had military campaigns there in the 19th Century and it did not work out well then either. Clearly, there is no simple solution but just to retreat after 20 years of military occupation, abandoning the people of Afghanistan yet again, is madness.


Perhaps therein lies my lack of motivation - it is not just simple hubris, more a sense of general pointlessness. Or perhaps I am bored - I have all the distractions I could ever want but nothing is grabbing my attention. But after reading the relentlessly gloomy news, I have to remind myself that at least mundane is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment