Sunday 4 September 2022

Tech Trials



Like many quilters, I am acutely aware that I accumulate far too much stuff that I don’t use so I sold my Bernette Funlock (coverstitch machine) on Ebay and sent it off to its new owner with a courier. The new owner tried it out but the handwheel was jammed. Since it worked perfectly before dispatch, I think it got dropped in transit. Now I have to waste time and do battle with the courier to get compensation. 

I was encouraged to purchase a gimbal for my camera by some enthusiastic YouTube videographers. I followed the tricky procedure to balance the camera on 3 axes, watched countless videos, read the manual but could not get the gimbal to do what it was meant to do. I was determined not to be beaten but in the end I decided that it was all a bit much of a palaver so I returned it. I also bought a wide angle lens that attached to the camera with sticky stuff but it kept falling off so that went back too.





I finished painting my filing cabinets then staged them to look nice in the background of videos. As part of a challenge by Bernina UK to find ways that Quilters can use the L890 coverstitch/overlock machine, I spent 2 days making a video on how to do Quilt As You Go. First I had to figure out how to make the technique work then I had to film the process using 2 cameras. I use a GoPro to show what happens  at the sewing machine. I tried to mount it to the top of the L890 with a bendy arm but it kept coming unstuck. The other camera was on a tripod that kept threatening to topple over. I got it done in the end then edited the 2 lots of footage (without sweary bloopers) and will upload it to Youtube when everyone is out and does not need to use the already sluggish internet.





Other activities for the week included working on a large hexagon quilt for a customer and not getting around to making bramble jelly.





Freya paid us a surprise visit for a few days to see Nella before she sets off for Norwich. She is up to her eyes trying to get her Masters dissertation finished but we did manage to find time to go out for tea and have a bonfire. 





I still have not been hit by inspiration for a new project or been led to complete something already considered. I should probably just lose myself in the making of an everyday quilt for the time being.


No comments:

Post a Comment