Sunday 19 February 2023

Ultra Bunting

 

What would you do with 2 weeks to go until an exhibition? Tackle the jobs that need doing OR suddenly decide that you need to make 12+m of over-the-top bunting to hang across the front of the stand? I had a few blocks left from Rainbow Warliors that I sewed together, some leftover squares that I screen-printed, some sequins and pompoms that I attached to bells nylon thread and then I “had to” make about 20 large pompoms from wool! The resulting bunting echoes the theme of Rainbow Warliors and is fabulous but worryingly heavy. I have visions of visitors to my exhibition being garrotted by low-hanging bunting.




Another part of my week was filled with doing a rush-job quilt for someone who wanted to take a quilt to friends in Australia. 




I also gave a Zoom lesson on how to quilt lettering using Q-matic. This is quite a tricky topic and I will need to make accompanying videos but won’t have time until the exhibition is done and dusted. I fully intend to work my way down a comprehensive to-do list;) 


One of the things that is taking a long time to achieve is putting together a slideshow to accompany a talk that I will be giving about competitive quilting. I have had to go back through 15 years of photos. I am appalled at how blurry some of these are - it could be that they have become compressed after being stored on 3 different computers, they were taken in low light indoors without a tripod, and the camera/ phone quality was not as good as the photography gear that I own now. I have had to search for images through obscure folders, assign titles and put them in order, which all takes ages. It has been fascinating to reflect on quilts that I thought were pretty good at the time and also to appreciate just how many quilts I have actually made!

No comments:

Post a Comment