Sunday 22 May 2022

Sometimes it is just Either / Or



 I have spent many hours this week trying to work out a definitive method of placing borders onto a quilt using Bernina Qmatic. In fact, I have been like a dog with a bone testing things out. This is because I want to be able to explain how it is done for one of my Zoom pupils and I always make a summarising video with notes after the lesson. I have figured out how to get the designs to line up beautifully and I have worked out how to place them accurately on a quilt. However, it is an either / or situation if the quilt is not absolutely accurate - you can either joint the designs up perfectly OR fit them within the borders perfectly. My videos try to explain this conundrum - accuracy of pattern or accuracy of placement, not both! It is not really an issue if you are working on a whole cloth without pieced borders. 

This is why almost all customer quilts are done with nice, straightforward all-over patterns such as the two I did this week - "Feather Flip” and “Camelia”.




Despite a mostly sunny week, as soon as we parked our deckchairs at Crathes Castle for an outdoor showing of “Mamma Mia 2”, it rained - a lot! No wonder it is so green here. There was not much crowd participation in such a downpour but it was still a fun evening out. I am so glad that I will be taking a caravan rather than a tent to a “Doune the Rabbit Hole” in July since the chance of rain during a Scottish festival is high!





I have cut out 306 x 4 ½” background squares and 306 x 5” squares to make Nella a puff quilt to take to Uni and I hope to get cracking on that this week when she visits her cousin in Exeter (all by herself!) I have also decided to make 4 small quilts to hang with “Rainbow Warliors” on the Bernina Q-series stand at FOQ. The plan is to do some screen-printing and keep things simple but honestly, I should just have decided to make a new show quilt! 




No comments:

Post a Comment