Sunday 20 November 2022

Crazy Flood


It is a good job that I have been keeping on top of customer quilts because my workshop will be out of action until it dries out! We had a repeat of Storm Frank from 5-6 years ago which was meant to be a one in a hundred years type of weather event. Well, global warming is no myth here as extreme weather becomes increasingly normal. It had been raining persistently for a couple of days but eventually the ground was soaked, and the field drains overflowed. Before I knew it water was pouring in the door, seeping under the walls and coming up the drain. In the end I had to abandon ship and check the situation in daylight. 


I don’t keep much stored on the floor and I managed to shift some cardboard boxes. There was almost an inch of water to mop up, thankfully mud and sewage free. I was glad that I had bought a Vax that can suck up liquid! The problem will be getting the carpet to dry without going mouldy. The dehumidifier does not operate well in low temperatures. I have ordered some antiseptic poultry powder to use as carpet cleaner and another dehumidifier so fingers crossed we don’t get much more rain.




Before all that drama, I did the background quilting on my crazy quilt/coat. I used a variegated thread which maybe I regret. I also added a few of my favourite motifs which I will highlight with paint. While I was reminding myself how to make Qmatic do a double run of stitching, I realised that I could make it do some fancy stitches. I was able to mark out some of the wonky blocks, send the outlines to the Art and Stitch program and get it to do some machine embroidery around the areas that I had chosen. This is quite a slow process so I did some kantha stitching on areas of the quilt while the machine was busy. Considering that I thought this was going to be a longterm hand sewing project, I seem to have gone a bit “off-piste”. 



Nessie had a grand day out meeting up with some other Scottie Dogs. She was a bit puzzled at first as she thinks she is the ONLY Scottie in the world but after a while I let her off the lead and she ran around having great fun. All of the owners thought she was cute and she managed to con about 100 snacks out of them. She would probably quite like a friend to play with but just having one small dog makes life easier if I am staying with Freya or my folks. Anyway, the cats would definitely not be impressed if they had to put up with 2 Nessies!

No comments:

Post a Comment