Monday 10 July 2023

Cut and Run (Banksy in Glasgow)




 It was a bit of a damp July week here so Nella and I undertook more autumnal activities including jam and bread-making. She altered the neckline of a dress that she had made and worked on some impressive crochet. 

I spent my entire week getting the binding done on Help Ma Boab. I had planned to finish the edge with silver machine blanket stitching but the edges were as bulky as a carpet so I settled for some kantha-style hand stitching. I am still wondering about adding beads to the outside edge (I tested this on a small sample) but that is probably over-kill;) All I really have to do now is hand-stitch the reverse of the binding, hanging sleeve and label and tidy any loose threads. 





Nella and I spent the weekend with Freya, her boyfriend (George) and his Mum. We tramped around Edinburgh which was heaving with tourists like ourselves, dodging rain showers. We visited the National Portrait Gallery which was fascinating. On Sunday we had tickets for the much anticipated Banksy exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in Glasgow. It was an amazing exhibition, definitely the best I have attended, anywhere, ever! Photos were not allowed which made the audience engage more fully with the artwork and I think everyone there must have read every single label. It is incredible how Banksy has managed to keep his identity a secret for so many years and not be caught on camera. We felt that we “knew” the artist from the quotes that were displayed yet he remains an enigma. 





My mission this week is to finish Help Ma Boab and get it ready to post. IF I still want to add beads after that I would theoretically have time but possibly not the inclination…


No comments:

Post a Comment